MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE)
- Only the application will be reviewed for the initial screening and comparative analysis steps. It is imperative that your application and answers to supplemental questions describe all of your relevant education, knowledge, skills, and experience as it relates to the requirements, duties, and preferred qualifications of this position as described within this announcement.
- Resumes, Cover Letters, or other documents submitted will only be used in later stages of the comparative analysis (transcripts and IQS/IQCS submitted to verify that the applicant meets minimum qualification or substitution are exempt from this).
This must be specifically documented on your application. Additional information submitted after the closing date of this announcement will not be considered in the review of your application.
- High school diploma or General Education Diploma (GED).
- One (1) year of professional wildland firefighting experience.
- Qualification to NWCG standards as Firefighter Type 2 (FFT2), Firefighter Type 1 (FFT1), and Helicopter Crewmember (HECM).
- 5 seasons documented wildland firefighting experience, and/or additional fire service experience including fireline supervision.
- Preference for NWCG qualifications of Helicopter Manager, Single Resource (HMGB), Basic Faller (FAL3) or higher, and Incident Commander Type 5 (ICT5) or higher.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Demonstrated commitment to public service and community involvement, and experience with State-level fire programs.
- Medical certifications and qualifications including Wilderness First Responder, Emergency First Responder, or Emergency Medical Technician.
- State of Colorado/DFPC Structural Firefighter I, Firefighter II or equivalent.
- Advance helicopter experience, including search and rescue, hoist, hover-step, and all hazard response.
Upon initial employment, individual will be required to provide a complete training file to DFPC that contains all necessary qualification documentation (course certificates, position task books, personnel evaluations, and incident experience history) to demonstrate that NWCG and other requirements have been met.
Position may be required to attain additional training and/or certifications within a specified period of time, per current DFPC qualifications and professional development Stand Operating Guidelines and Policies.
Current valid driver's license at time of hire, and must obtain a Colorado-issued driver's license within 6 months of hire. Ability to operate motor vehicles and to travel extensively throughout the state in a variety of weather conditions.
This position is a public safety officer as defined by 42 U.S.C. § 3796b Sec. 1204 (9).
Applicant must be willing to be fingerprinted, successfully pass a polygraph, drug screen, and a medical physical exam as a condition of hire.
Must maintain an Arduous Fitness Level rating (based on National Wildfire Coordinating Group standards) throughout entire employment period. Must be able to obtain an Arduous Fitness Level rating within 2 weeks of hire.
Must be willing to travel to wildfire incidents, severity assignments, and pre-position assignments throughout Colorado, and across the nation at times. Assignments may last for two weeks or longer.
Firefighters need to be familiar with and frequently use flammable liquids and solids in the performance of various prescribed fire and tactical firing tasks. This includes the preparation, implementation and storage of drip torch fuel, Aluma Gel, Phosphorus, and gunpowder.
If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from consideration for the position, you may protest the action by filing an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the date you receive notice of the elimination. Also, if you wish to challenge the selection and comparative analysis process, you may file an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the receipt of notice or knowledge of the action you are challenging. Refer to Chapters 4 and 8 of the State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures, 4 CCR 801, for more information about the appeals process. The State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures are available at www.colorado.gov/spb
. A standard appeal form is available at: www.colorado.gov/spb
. If you appeal, your appeal must be submitted in writing on the official appeal form, signed by you or your representative, and received at the following address within 10 days of your receipt of notice or knowledge of the action: Colorado State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director, Attn: Appeals Processing, 1525 Sherman Street, 4th Floor, Denver, CO 80203. Fax: 303-866-5038. Phone: 303-866-3300. The ten-day deadline and these appeal procedures also apply to all charges of discrimination.
EQUITY, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION:
The State of Colorado believes that equity, diversity, and inclusion drive our success, and we encourage candidates from all identities, backgrounds, and abilities to apply. The State of Colorado is an equal opportunity employer committed to building inclusive, innovative work environments with employees who reflect our communities and enthusiastically serve them. Therefore, in all aspects of the employment process, we provide employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, medical condition related to pregnancy, creed, ancestry, national origin, marital status, genetic information, or military status (with preference given to military veterans), or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.
Colorado Department of Public Safety is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, our agency will assist individuals who have a disability with any reasonable accommodation requests related to employment, including completing the application process, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, participating in the employee selection process, and/or to perform essential job functions where the requested accommodation does not impose an undue hardship. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodation to ensure you have a positive experience applying or interviewing for this position, please direct your inquiries to our ADAAA 303.239.4544.
All correspondence regarding your status in the selection/examination process will be via email. Include your current working email address on your application and check your email frequently as you could receive time sensitive correspondence regarding this position. We highly recommend that you set up your email to accept messages from "state.co.us
" and "firstname.lastname@example.org
" addresses. It is your responsibility to ensure that your email will accept these notices and/or review your junk mail and spam filtered email.SELECTION NOTICE
The first stage of the comparative analysis will be an application review. Your application material will be reviewed as a part of the selection process to establish a ranked order of all applicants who meet the minimum requirements. It is imperative that your application, cover letter, and answers to supplemental questions provide as much information and detail as possible about your education, knowledge, skills, and experience as it relates to the requirements, duties, and preferred qualifications of this position as described within this announcement.Complete Applications must include the following documents:
- A complete CDPS Application for Announced Vacancy (please submit online using the link in this announcement)
- A complete Supplemental Questionnaire (must submit online as part of your application)
- A copy of your official or unofficial transcript showing that your degree has been conferred and the name of your school or your NACES accreditation
- A copy of your NWCG qualification (IQS or IQS Master Record and/or Red Card).
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY - RECRUITMENT TIMELINE INFORMATION
- Applications are considered complete and accurate at the time of submission. Therefore, additional information may not be solicited or accepted after your application has been received.
- All applications that are received by the closing of this announcement will be reviewed against the Minimum Qualifications in this announcement. Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications may proceed to the next step. Colorado Revised Statutes require that state employees are hired and promoted based on merit and fitness through a comparative analysis process.
- If you are a military veteran you must submit a copy of your DD-214, Member 4 Copy, and VA disability letter if available/applicable at the time of application so we can determine if you are eligible for veteran's preference points. Military personnel who are stationed outside of Colorado may be eligible for this position by submitting the completed DD-2058 "State of Legal Residence" form.